Чан-Чан — столица государства индейцев чиму (около 12 в.) на северном побережье современного Перу. Вероятно, чиму были потомками древних мочика, прежде населявших эти места. В мощном государстве правили вожди и жрецы. Площадь города превышала 20 км2. Правители жили в прямоугольных дворцовых комплексах, огороженных высокими стенами. Сохранились развалины пирамид, храмов, дворцов, остатки водопроводных и канализационных труб. Стены зданий отделывались вычурным рельефным орнаментом.
The ancient Chimu kingdom (700-1400 AD) founded their capital by the banks of the MocheRiver in the department of La Libertad and called it Jang-Jang, which in the ancient Mochica language means "sun-sun". Chan Chan, which spans an area of 20 square km, is the largest mud-brick citadel dating back to the pre-Hispanic era. To build it, the Chimú architects used clay, mud, pebbles, wood, reeds, straw and cane, materials which enable the citadel to blend in with the sandy coasts. The complex is made up of many cities within a city, each of which has its own single entrance which leads down a corridor that opens up into other passageways lining walls and buildings featuring some marvelous rectangular architecture: inner patios, residences, administrative buildings, temples, platforms and storehouses. The walls were decorated with haut-relief friezes done in geometric and animal figures. The T-shaped platform that housed the king's burial chamber was the most important construction in the complex. The citadel was surrounded by outlying quarters which housed the kingdom's producers and servants. The separate cities today have been given the names of the archaeologists who studied them (Rivero, Tschudi, Bandelier, Uhle, Tello). The Rivero city was the seat of Minchancamán, the last of the Chimú rulers, who was captured by the Incas and taken to Cuzco, according to the Spanish chroniclers.