Europe: Ancient cities Нисирос / Nisyros

нисирос2.jpg
PHOTO: vgisakis 36°33'44.99"N 27° 9'30.61"E

Первыми жителями Нисироса были карийцы. Остров был захвачен царицей Галикарнасса Артемисией. На основании изучения развалин акрополя можно сделать вывод, что находившийся внутри него древний город был обитаем с V века до н.э. до V века н.э., а еще более древний город находился в эпоху бронзы у гавани, о чем свидетельствуют остатки развалин древней набережной. Рыцари ордена Святого Иоанна захватили остров и построили в 1315 году крепость, рядом с которой позднее, в 1600 году возник монастырь Пещерной Богородицы. (Старинная икона хранилась первоначально в скальной пещере.) В 1522 году остров захватили турки, а в 1912 году - итальянцы. Воссоединение Нисироса с Грецией произошло в 1948 году.

 

 

According to Greek mythology, the island was formed when Poseidon cut a part of Kos and threw it on the giant Polyvotis (Polybotes) to stop him from escaping. The ancient name of the Nisyros was Porphyris. It was celebrated in antiquity for its warm springs, wine, and mill-stones. Its capital, stood on the NW extremity of the island, where considerable ruins of its Acropolis remain. Its first inhabitants are said to have been Carians ; but already in the heroic age it had received a Dorian population, like other islands near it, with which it is mentioned by Homer as sending troops to the Greeks. It received other Dorian settlements in the historical age. At the time of the Persian war, it belonged to the Carian Queen Artemisia ; it next became a tributary ally of Athens : though transferred to the Spartan alliance by the issue of the Peloponnesian war, it was recovered for Athens by the victory at Cnidos, B.C. 394. After the defeat of Antiochus the Great by the Romans, it was assigned to Rhodes ; and, with the rest of the Rhodian Republic, was united to the Roman Empire about B.C 70.

Геоглифы Сахары
Поддержать проект

ПОСЛЕДНИЕ КОММЕНТАРИИ